Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Good Eats of the Lowcountry

Although I prefer homecooking or my own grilling over any other food in the world, perhaps my favorite part of traveling is trying local restaurants and hidden dives. Our recent trip to Charleston was no different, as JMC and I were able to experience some exceptional cuisine.

 
First up was The Beacon Drive-In, located only a few miles off of I-26 in Spartanburg. Although the Beacon Burger-A Plenty with a large Peach Tea takes a few weeks off my lifespan each time I stop in, I simply can't pass through Spartanburg without dropping in.


Perhaps my best meal of the week came at Station 22 on Sullivan's Island, even if it was a questionable decision at the time. As everyone ordered crab cakes and the Mahi-Mahi special, I couldn't get over the fact that such a seafood establishment had meatloaf on the menu, and the Kentucky in me had to give it a try. Smothered in fried onions and paired with fresh green beans, I didn't even have time to snap a photo before it was all gone.


Although dinner on our final night was the first place all week to have crab legs, I opted for shrimp and low country fried grits. Their Fire Roasted Sweet Red Pepper Bisque was one of the better soups I've ever had, but it still didn't make up for waiting 30 minutes longer than the hostess predicted after we'd called ahead.

Last but certainly not least, the Sea Biscuit Cafe on Isle of Palms is perhaps the most charming little diner I've ever seen. It's open only for breakfast and lunch on Tue-Sat, and if you want breakfast I'd recommend getting there early as there are only about 15 tables. Although my country ham and eggs was absolutely delicious, I'd recommend the Brown Sugar French Toast, as it may be the greatest thing I've ever tasted.
Thank you for your time, JBH

No comments:

Post a Comment