Thursday, July 14, 2011

Open Championship Week

While most will pick the Masters or our National Open as their favorite golf event, The Open Championship is far and away my most fancied week of the year. It probably has something to do with it falling right around my birthday every year, but I simply love waking up early each morning to watch the high winds and natural beauty torment the worlds best players.  This is also a golf significant week in another way, as tomorrow morning I'll attempt to qualify for the 92nd Kentucky Open. The site for my qualifier is the historic Bellefonte Country Club in Ashland, KY, a classic layout that I would have to rank among the hardest 6,000 yard courses in America.


With nearly every hole tree lined and the widest fairway measuring a measly 25 yards, it is a course that requires and rewards precisely hit tee shots.


The scorecard got a bit wrinkled during the round, but as my notes imply many of the holes will certainly see the driver being left in the bag.  I haven't attempted the Open since 2008, which saw a 72 get me into the field at Audubon Country Club. Although I don't believe the narrow fairways and tricky greens will be all that troublesome, my biggest fear is the affect that taking the lady friend to tonight's midnight showing of the conclusion to the Harry Potter series will have!!






Regardless of what happens on the course, it will certainly be a great weekend. Saturday morning will see the lady and I heading down to Charleston for a week of R&R and my birthday celebration, not to mention waking up early Sunday to see who can become the Champion Golfer of the Year.


Thank you for your time, JBH

No comments:

Post a Comment