Thursday, September 29, 2011

Recession Proof

As I've noted before, my real love for the blogging world came from Giuseppe at An Affordable Wardrobe. I've tried contacting him a few times to no avail, but for those who haven't kept up with him the man is seriously a genius. Like many, I always confused fashion and style, while the first can be bought, the latter is priceless. Without him, I would've continued making trendy purchases each season, rather than building a classic wardrobe through hard work and dedication. Speaking of which, I'd love to make it to Boston for the next Top Shelf Market.

Today was one of the many days I walked out the house feeling like a million bucks, all while outfitted in nearly all thrift store gems. Up top, it was a RL Golf Polo with a wool J. Crew sweater thrown over it. The two ran me a combined $5 on a recent trip to a local honey hole. I still splurge every once a while, but even splurging involves deep discounts, landing this Timex for 40% off.
I kept it calm on the bottom with a pair of slim brown cords found recently at Target (another helpful hint from Giuseppe). The socks are one of my treasure, bought many years ago at H&M in NYC, I don't know how much longer they'll last, but I dread to see them go. Finally, I've featured these shoes many times, but never explained them fully. Johnston and Murphy Kilties, that seems nearly molded to fit my feet, for only $3. The lady friend has accompanied me on a few shopping trips, but is yet to experience the true joy of finding a diamond in the rough...

On a non-sartorial note, being thrifty is one of the foundations of the prep lifestyle. It's nice to find clothing on the cheap, but there are other ways save as well. Our economy is terrible, and gas has long been a problem, which is why it's almost unbelievable I took this photo just yesterday. For those unaware, as I was until a few days ago, Kroger has a monthly rewards program that accumulates points for dollars spent in groceries, which can be cashed in for up to $1.00 off per gallon. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I filled the F150 up for under $75, it felt like they were giving it away....


Thank you for your time, JBH

No comments:

Post a Comment